Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Custom Coloring Book

I have a pile of old folders , which has been sitting around for awhile.
My mom is in a senior home now, and she likes coloring.
My sister and I had been talking about xmas gifts, and she had initially suggested a coloring book for mom. Well this idea was brewing in my mind ..and yes, making her a home made coloring book, and using the folder as a cover.
It was an overnight project,and finished the cover this morning.
I initially gessoed the folders, and created layers upon layers until I was happy.
My mom loves happy things so I made a landscape with peace doves, stars and heart. The flowers were made with recycled cardboard.  I did a lot of glazing  to make the layers shine thru.
The inside was glued with beautiful paper, and I added a big piece of clear contact sheet (which is a plastic you lined your kitchen cupboard with) as an added protective layer for the paper.
Ribbons adorns the edges.
I found some coloring pages to d/l  in google, and printed those on 80 lb paper, which was just perfect, and some which I thought my mom would love. I found 2 special one , which I put as the last page. It says "I love You Mom".. I wrote a french caption underneath each photo, as we are french, so it would connect more with her.
Here are some photos:





I didn't spend much for creating this artwork; but I feel very fullfilled with
the love I felt  for my mom when creating it. It's also mostly all recycled objects, and that is
bonus. This,handmade,and love mix together makes a great 'melange' for artistic creativity;-)
Sometimes with little , it says so much, and the reward is so satisfying!

xox

3 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

What a lovely thoughtful gift for your mom. She's sure to love it!

Artist/Painter said...

What a fantastic idea and creation Mariette! I love it! I didn't know your Mom was in care now. I just came back from visiting mine who is also in long term care. I hope she is doing well in care.

artlover said...

Thanks Janet and Gwen~
~~~
Gwen it's lovely to hear from you!
Hope everything is well my friend
Happy holidays xox
~~~
Happy Holiday Janet x0x
~~~